After a last service in the little prayer room on January 14, 1943, the Wehrmacht took over the building and set up a uniform camp here.
During the night of November 23, 1943, the synagogue suffered serious damage during British air raids during the Second World War.
In the 1936 edition, not only had the building vanished, so too had any indication that synagogues still existed in the area.
The physical destruction of the synagogues that was to follow in 1938 was thus preceded by their symbolic disappearance from tourist literature.
Tanks and self-propelled guns were committed to battle. There is the snobby flaneur in a fur coat and patent leather; the worldly lady, garçon from head to toe with a monocle and smoking cigarette, taps on high heels across its walkways and disappears into one of the thousands of abodes of delirium and drugs that cast their screaming lights seductively into the evening air.
Map publishers were instead reacting to the vague command to work in tune with the ideals of National Socialism.
Inside is an "historical" black-and-white photo captioned "The New Synagogue in Flames".
A closer examination of photography and historical research led Heinz Knobloch to the conclusion that the synagogue in the photo did not correspond to its actual state in 1938 but had been clearly retouched in the post-war period.
Berlin's police commissioner Graf Helldorf only verbally reprimanded Krützfeld for doing so and has since often been mistakenly identified as the rescuer of the New Synagogue. After the effects of the fire had been removed, the New Synagogue had been able to be used for worship services again until April 1939.
The dome had to be overpainted with camouflage paint because of the threat of air raids.